Former École Guigues (159 Murray Street)
The beginnings of École Guigues go back to 1864, and in 1889 it was named for the late Msgr. Guigues, Ottawa’s first Catholic bishop. The current building opened its doors in 1904 and was one of Ottawa’s largest schools. Thousands of students passed through its halls until it was finally closed in 1979. The building was restored between 1995 and 1997; since then it has housed the Centre de Service Guigues, a community services centre for francophone seniors.  

The school played a key role in the fight against Regulation 17, a provincial law passed in 1912 that attempted to ban French as a language of instruction in Ottawa and Ontario schools.

There is a photograph exhibition on the first floor.