Poulin’s Dry Goods Store
(plaque erected on O’Connor St. near Sparks)
 
This city plaque commemorates an important commercial building, erected in 1871 in Ottawa’s Centre Town. Louis-Napoléon Poulin (1858-1941) opened a dry goods store in Ottawa in 1889. The business was so successful that the store was expanded a number of times in response to a steadily growing clientele. In 1924, the store at the corner of Sparks and O’Connor comprised 100,000 square feet, and two years later there were 250 people on its staff. The Poulin family (L.-N. Poulin, his sons and grandsons) ran this business at the corner of Sparks and O’Connor from 1893 to 1972.