| St-François d’Assise Church (20 Fairmont Avenue, near Wellington Street) |
|The first church of this name, opened in 1891, was designed by architect Jude Routhier and contractor Pierre Bélanger. Founded and run by the Capuchin Fathers, the church was later turned into a college.|
The second church, built in the Quebec neo-Romanesque style, was completed in 1916. Charles Brodeur was the architect and the firm of Noël and Monette the builders.
The church has been described as follows:
“The interior is without columns. The vault and the sanctuary window-frames take the form of what are known as “basket-handled” arches, while the other window-frames and the windows themselves are Romanesque. Two lateral galleries in each transept and the organ loft give it a Gothic appearance."
“The church is known for its collection of statues, the oldest coming from the original church. Among these figures are St. Anthony (1894), the Sacred Heart (1896), Notre-Dame-de-Piété (1897) and St. Pascal Baylon (1899). The Stations of the Cross and the oak pews are from the original church."
“St. Francis, the parish’s patron, and St. Antony stand in two niches in the front wall. Two bell towers of unequal height contain five bells, cast in the Les Fils de Georges Pacaud foundaries in Annecy-le-Vieux, France. An imposing two-level flight of front steps makes this church one of Ottawa’s most beautiful monuments.”
The church was operated by the Capuchin Fathers until 1976. The federal government restored it in 1985.