Laurier Statue (Parliament Hill)
 
This statue, erected in 1927, commemorates Sir Wilfrid Laurier, one of Canada’s greatest prime ministers and the first French-Canadian to hold the position. Laurier lived in Ottawa for many years and led the government from 1896 to 1911. The City of Ottawa and the country as a whole experienced a period of great prosperity under Laurier, who created the Federal District Commission in 1899, the predecessor to the National Capital Commission. He encouraged immigration and multiculturalism by opening up the entire country, bringing Alberta and Saskatchewan into Confederation in 1905.