College of Ottawa
(plaques erected on Guigues Street and on the University campus)
 
This plaque commemorates the first location, from 1848 to 1856, of the college that would become the University of Ottawa. The first college was located in a small wooden building in the shadow of Notre Dame Cathedral in Lower Town. The college quickly outgrew it and was moved in 1852 to a stone building at the corner of Guigues street and Sussex drive. This building, which is still there, was home to the Académie De La Salle from 1899 to 1968. A plaque was put up in 1948 on Guigues Street by the University of Ottawa Alumni Association.