Deschâtelets Building
(175 Main Street)
In 1885, the Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate built Saint Joseph Scholasticate in Ottawa East (currently know as Old Ottawa South), formerly known as Archville. It is a vast structure that faces Main Street and stretches along the Rideau River. The Scholasticate housed young Oblates who studied philosophy and theology with a view to becoming priests. In 1971, the Scholasticate left the site and the building became the Deschâtelets Building in honour of Father Léo Deschâtelets, former superior who was promoted to superior general of the Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate in Rome. The Deschâtelets Building, which included a small infirmary and provided health care services to Oblate priests and brothers, offered rooms for priests, brothers, fathers, sisters and laymen who were studying at Saint Paul University. The Deschâtelets Archives have been housed there since 1920.