Dominican University College
(96 Empress Street)
Construction of the building, which also houses the convent of the Dominican Fathers, started in 1882. Founded in 1900 by the Dominican Order, the College received its charter of incorporation in 1909. It was rebuilt after fire destroyed it in 1931. It received a charter as a Catholic university in 1965, and a civil charter as a public university in 1967. The Dominican College of philosophy and theology included a philosophy department, a theology faculty and a pastoral institute. It offered both undergraduate and graduate (Master’s and Doctoral) programs in philosophy and theology. In 1990, it became the school where future Dominicans study philosophy and theology and, in 1994, it began to offer courses in English and French. In 2005, it became the Dominican University College.